TORONTO -- Catcher Salvador Perez is close to being back to his normal routine.
Perez was in the Royals' starting lineup for the fourth straight game on Thursday night against the Blue Jays. Previously the most consecutive days he'd caught was two. Manager Ned Yost feels that Perez is doing fine in his return from knee surgery on June 22.
There have been a couple of scares. Against Tampa Bay, a runner spiked Perez's surgically-repaired left knee but the only injury was a small cut. On Wednesday night against Toronto, a foul ball drilled his knee, but it was his right one. But again Perez went down into the dirt, causing concern.
"When I went out there to check on him, he said, 'I'm OK, I'm OK,'" ex-catcher Yost said. "I said, 'I know it hurts. I took a bunch of those off my knee, but I just never went on the ground after I took mine.' He just started laughing."
Yost will give Perez a day off on Friday at Detroit, then catch him in the last two games before the four-day All-Star break.
Perez not only went into Thursday night's game with a 10-game hitting streak, but he seems to have had a positive effect on the pitchers.
"Nobody's had a horrible game since he's been back in there," Yost said.
Broxton appreciative of Final Vote support
TORONTO -- Candidate Jonathan Broxton is back to being just closer Jonathan Broxton.
Broxton, one of five candidates for the American League's last roster spot, was an also-ran in the 2012 All-Star Game MLB.com Final Vote sponsored by Firestone.
Yu Darvish, the Rangers starting pitcher from Japan, won the American League spot in results announced on Thursday.
"I'm very appreciative for everything everybody's done for me, from my teammates to the coaching staff to all the fans out there who put the time in to vote," Broxton said. "We tried to pull it through, but it's kind of hard when you're going against a country. It was fun while it lasted and I just want to thank everybody for their support. Hopefully next year I can get it done without a vote."
Barring a late roster change, designated hitter Billy Butler will be the Royals' only All-Star representative, picked as a reserve by AL manager Ron Washington.
Broxton is planning a trip to his Georgia home during the four-day All-Star break.
"As of right now, I'm going to home, check out my new land and spent some time with my wife and kids," he said.
This is the second straight year that a Royals candidate has finished out of the running in the Final Vote. Left fielder Alex Gordon was a candidate in 2011.
The 2012 winner in the National League was Cardinals third baseman David Freese.
Adcock receives familiar call to big leagues
TORONTO -- It's doubtful if anyone's really kept track over the years, but if there was Royals team record for most times called up from the Minors in one season, pitcher Nate Adcock might be close to it. This is his fifth different stint with the Major League club this year.
"I'd like to stay here. That's not a good thing if I get the record," Adcock said.
But the good thing for Adcock is that he keeps getting recalled, so the Royals must like what they see.
"I'm happy to be back. If it happens again, it's out of my control. I can only do what I can do while I'm up here, just try to keep getting better every day," Adcock said.
"It's always good to be back. You're possibly part of the plan. And going back and forth, me and [Louis] Coleman always joke around about it, because we're usually taking each other's spot, but this time we got to come up together and that was pretty cool."
Coleman, called up from Triple-A Omaha with Adcock on Wednesday, is on his fourth stay with the big club.
For Coleman, the job is always relief work. But for Adcock, in addition to switching back and forth between teams, he's also been both a starter and a reliever.
"It's still the same game, 60 feet, 6 inches," Adcock said. "Nothing changes about the game. It's whether you're really prepared and commit to your pitches and get outs or you don't."
Royals ask release waivers on Quintero
TORONTO -- Catcher Humberto Quintero is about to become an ex-Royal officially.
The Royals asked unconditional release waivers on Quintero, 32, who was designated for assignment on June 27. That came in the wake of regular catcher Salvador Perez's return from the disabled list.
Obtained from the Astros with outfielder Jason Bourgeois for two Minor League players, Quintero, a .232 hitter in 43 games, had shared the catching duties with Brayan Pena, who remains with the club.
Royals reportedly sign Venezuela's Duenez
TORONTO -- The international signing period is open and the Royals dipped into the pool by signing Samir Duenez, 16, a third baseman from Venezuela for $425,000, according to Baseball America.
Duenez, a left-handed batter with power potential, hit .313 in 19 games with Venezuela's Liga Parelela.
Viva Los Royals will be held on July 14
TORONTO -- The celebrations won't stop once the All-Star Game and its accompanying festivities are completed in Kansas City. The Royals will hold the annual Viva Los Royals celebration on Saturday, July 14, when they meet the White Sox at 6:10 p.m. CT.
The first 20,000 fans through the gates will receive a chip and dip platter.
A pregrame party will be held at the Outfield Experience from 4:30 to 6 p.m. with entertainment by Imperio Sierreno, Willy Vela y sus Aguilillos and El Grupo Atotoonilco.
Local restaurants will compete in a best salsa contest for the second year of "Salsa Showdown." Fans can taste and vote on salsa samplings from local Mexican restaurants, including El Camino Real, Palominos, Pardo's and Teocali, in a tent near Gate E across from the Rival Sports Bar. Gates open at 4:30 p.m.
Additional information is available at royals.com/viva. Groups of 20 or more should contact Ariel Peralta at 816-405-4166.
Dick Kaegel is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.