OAKLAND -- Brett Lawrie and Colby Rasmus were out of the Blue Jays' lineup again on Sunday, but both are expected back when the team returns to action on Tuesday in St. Petersburg against the Rays.
"Both Colby and Brett needed another day," Blue Jays manager John Farrell said. "We'll take advantage of tomorrow's off day and hopefully both will be back in the lineup on Tuesday in Tampa."
Lawrie, the club's everyday third baseman, left Friday night's game with tightness in his rib cage.
When Lawrie returns, Adeiny Hechavarria will remain with the Blue Jays and fill in at second and shortstop, Farrell said. Hechavarria made his Major League debut at third in place of Lawrie on Saturday, even though he is a middle infielder.
Rasmus, the center fielder, suffered a strained groin on Friday night. He stayed in the game for a couple innings after he was hurt. Farrell said Rasmus was available to pinch-hit in Sunday's game.
Two other injured Blue Jays took steps toward recovery.
Jason Frasor, who has been out for two weeks with discomfort in his forearm, will start throwing on Monday.
Adam Lind, who is out with tightness in his back, has started to take some dry swings, but there remains no timetable for his recovery, Farrell said.
Farrell hopeful Bautista will be back this season
OAKLAND -- Blue Jays manager John Farrell remains hopeful that Jose Bautista will make it back this season, despite the slugger's recent setback.
"We don't feel and I don't think Jose feels his season is over," Farrell said before Sunday's game in Oakland. "But at the same time we don't want to rush something that ends up causing further damage and potentially leads to something else being needed."
Bautista has been out since July 16 with a sprained wrist. He took some swings in Seattle earlier this week, but it did not go as well as hoped, so he stopped.
"He still felt some symptoms particularly when he started to pull his hands in on a ball on the inside part of the plate," Farrell said. "As recommended by the hand specialist, if he feels some discomfort in there, we don't want to push it and risk further setback."
Bautista was hitting .244 with a .360 on-base percentage and 27 homers. The 31-year-old outfielder has led the American League in homers each of the past two seasons.
Blue Jays move up Happ as Villanueva takes leave
OAKLAND -- Carlos Villanueva has left the Blue Jays temporarily to address a personal issue in the Dominican Republic, causing a shuffling of the Toronto rotation, manager John Farrell said on Sunday.
Villanueva, who was originally scheduled to start on Tuesday in St. Petersburg against the Rays, will now take the ball on Wednesday.
J.A. Happ, who was scheduled for Thursday, will start on Tuesday. It will be Happ's first start since he was acquired from the Astros in a trade last month.
Farrell addresses Sierra's baserunning
OAKLAND -- Moises Sierra has only played four games in the Majors, but it's been enough to show Manager John Farrell that he has some work to do on his baserunning.
"I can tell you there are a lot of conversations that go on with him," Farrell said before Sunday's game. "There are some situations that have been overlooked. There is aggressiveness on his part which is a positive, but there are some game situations that need to be addressed and will continue to be addressed. Whether he's run through a stop sign or there have been some things that have taken place on the basepaths that have to be corrected, there has to be better attention to detail paid on his part."
Sierra, 23, was thrown out at the plate on Saturday. Farrell said baserunning has been an issue for the outfielder, who made his Major League debut on July 31.
"There has to be greater attention to the game situation at hand," Farrell said. "The days of laughing about something when something is not done right are over. He's in the big leagues. There are certain expectations. These aren't things that are geared toward talent. They are about understanding the game situation in the proper way."
Former first round pick Jenkins called up
OAKLAND -- Right-hander Chad Jenkins, was promoted from Double-A on Sunday, making his first appearance on a Major League roster.
Jenkins, 25, was a first-round pick when he was the 20th overall selection in the 2009 MLB First-Year Player Draft. Jenkins was 5-9 with a 4.96 ERA at Double-A New Hampshire, but in his last 10 starts he was 3-3 with a 3.84 ERA.
There was no immediate word from the Blue Jays on how Jenkins would be used.
Jesse Chavez was designated for assignment to make room for Jenkins. Chavez, a 28-year-old right-hander had an 8.44 ERA in nine games with the Blue Jays. He picked up his only victory of the season with a scoreless inning in the 10th inning on Saturday.
Jeff Fletcher is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.